STREATHAM DROP-IN CENTRE FOR ASYLUM SEEKERS AND REFUGEES
JOB DESCRIPTION: Chair of board of trustees
The Charity’s objectives are:
- To provide relief to refugees, asylum seekers or similarly disadvantaged individuals and their dependents;
- To preserve and protect the health of refugees, asylum seekers and their dependents;
- To advance the education and training of refugees, asylum seekers and their dependents;
- To provide or assist with the provision of facilities for recreation or other leisure time for refugees, asylum seekers and their dependents with the object of improving their conditions of life and assisting their inclusion into the wider community, in particular but not exclusively by the provisions of the drop-in centre.
Trustees meet approximately once a quarter to ensure these aims are fulfilled, to oversee the running of the charity and to guide it strategically. Trustees are expected to attend meetings as regularly as possible and to be fully prepared.
Responsibilities of the Chair
The charity is governed by a board of trustees who are seeking an experienced Chair to lead the organization going forward. Working closely with the other trustees and the charity coordinator, the Chair will ensure that the charity meets its objectives
We are preferably looking for a Chair who can demonstrate an understanding and interest in the issues faced by refugees and asylum seekers or has a willingness to learn and a genuine interest in improving the prospects of this disadvantaged community within Streatham and south London.
You will have the skills necessary to lead a Board and support the trustees by providing strategic guidance and a foster a supportive and collaborative environment.
You will have a demonstrable ability to work with individuals from a wide range of backgrounds and be adept at communicating effectively across the organization and with its users.
Additional responsibilities as a trustee
As well as being Chair you will have the following trustee responsibilities shared with other members of the board:
- To ensure that the organisation complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- To ensure that the organization pursues its objectives as defined in its governing document
- To ensure the organisation applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objectives
- To contribute actively to the board of trustees' role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- To safeguard the good name and values of the organisation
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation
- To ensure the financial stability of the organisation
- To protect and manage the property of the charity and to ensure the proper investment of the charity's funds
- If the charity employs staff, to appoint the Project Coordinator and monitor his / her performance
To apply for the role - please visit the Reach Volunteering website here: http://bit.ly/ChairStreatham